Important Notice: Silent Valley Revised Course
Due to snow covering parts of the course, there are some changes to the route. Although there is a gradual thaw, some sections still have significant amounts of drifted snow. Therefore, the course has been revised to provide better running and safer conditions underfoot. Please study the course details and note essential information for competitors to help ensure your safety.
After the first checkpoint at the top of Moolieve, the route will cross the Mourne Wall via the gate to the North East at GR 314 220 then go to a checkpoint at Binnian quarry at GR 324 225. The main climb up Binnian is next, to the stile east of the summit at GR 322 233, then on to the checkpoint on the Summit Tor. From here the course is unchanged through to Doan. However, be aware that there is likely to be deep snow still banked up on the descent to Ben Crom Dam
after the checkpoint at the Binnian / Lamagan col.
After Doan, Carn Mountain and Slieve Muck are omitted, so the route descends to a checkpoint at the Hut /Shelter on the north east side of Loughshannagh at GR 297 263. From here the route then follows the Banns Road (a rough track) to a checkpoint where it crosses the Mourne Wall at GR 292 237. It is likely that the route over Slievenaglogh and back to Silent Valley will be unchanged, but this will be confirmed after a course inspection on Thursday.
CHECKPOINTS FOR REVISED COURSE:
Start: Beside registration buildings 307 216
1. Moolieve, 332m (marked route) 313 218
2. Gate NE of Moolieve 314 220
3. Binnian Quarry 324 225
4. Stile east of summit 322 233
5. Slieve Binnian Summit Tor, 747m 320 234
6.Col Binnian / Lamagan, track junction 320 256
7.Doan, 594m 302 262
8. Hut/Shelter at Loughshannagh 297 263
9. Gate Banns Road/Mourne Wall 292 237
10.Slievenaglogh, wall corner, 445m 299 229
11.Wall junction and crossing point 295 227
12.Stile approaching reservoir 302 221
Finish: Beside registration buildings (marked route) 307 216
1. The race is taking place under winter conditions, so be prepared zithromax no prescription pharmacy with adequate clothing and equipment. With the recent weather, wind chill on the summits has been severe, so dress accordingly.
2. In addition to the standard clothing/equipment, a hat and gloves are required. Therefore, all competitors must carry/wear:- waterproof jacket with hood, waterproof overtrousers, hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle and emergency food.
3. There will be a pre race briefing at 11.30am beside registration, which all competitors must attend. Following this, there will be time for runners to warm up before the start at 12 noon.
4. There will be a kit check for all competitors, adjacent to the start at 11.50 am.
5. The start will be on the road adjacent to the registration buildings. The route heads south down the road for approx 400m, then turns east opposite the exit of the car park and heads up a small path at GR 306 211. After about 200m, cross the wall at an opening, then headsdiagonally north east up across the rough hillside to a stile on the wall up Moolieve at GR 310 215. This section will be marked, but runners are recommended to take a look at it when warming up. After crossing the stile, climb Moolive on the north side of the wall.
6. The route from the final checkpoint, at the stile approaching the reservoir, across the dam wall to the finish will be marked, as in 2010. However, the finish will be close to the registration buildings near the start. Note that this is approx 150m further on from where the race finished in 2010.